I can't believe how easy these are and don't know why it's taken me this long to discover it! But here it is! Basically there are 3 main ingredients, then you add your essential oils for flavor and all natural benefits!
WHAT YOU NEED:
1 part beeswax pellets
2 parts shea butter
2 parts coconut oil
20 drops essential oil of choice
containers to put it in...small tin type or tubes (I found mine on Amazon)
DIY Lip Balm Instructions
- Put about an inch of water in the bottom of a small pan and turn on medium heat.
- Place a small (pint size or smaller) jar in the water, being careful not to get in water inside the jar.
- Place all ingredients except the essential oils inside the glass jar and slowly melt, making sure not to get any water in jar. I use 2 tablespoons each of the butter(s) and coconut oil and 1 tablespoons of beeswax. This fills about 18 tubes.
- When all ingredients are melted, stir well and turn off heat, but leave jar in the water to keep warm.
- Stir in the essential oils.
- Use a glass dropper to quickly fill the containers. I leave the jar in the water but turn off the heat to keep the ingredients liquid while I do this.
- The mixture will settle slightly as it cools, so I also re-top the containers after about 2 minutes as they start to harden.
- Let sit without touching for several hours or until completely hardened.
- Store in a cool dry place (they will last for at least a year if stored correctly).
Note: This will make a medium firm lip balm. If you prefer a firmer and longer lasting lip balm, you can add more beeswax, up to double the recommended amount. If you prefer a smoother and more oily lip balm, you can reduce the amount of beeswax. ENJOY!!!
Here's the final product!
I made this one as a "Creamsicle" using a touch of Vanilla Oleoresin and Orange essential oil. I've seen on different websites that you shouldn't use any water based stuff because it will separate. I used this vanilla paste because there isn't much water content.(You should NOT use vanilla extract for this reason). The paste can be expensive, but I already had it on hand from a previous project....and it lasts a long time!
YUMMY! My first lip balm was a huge success!